Most of our rules are focused on “personal responsibility”.
FMS is an excellent opportunity for students to practice this valuable skill.
Students (and parents) agree to:
* Arrive on time, every time, with all materials (instrument, music, stand, instruction book, pencil, water bottle if desired) and be ready to play when your class starts. Our biggest annoyance is students coming to class without a stand or music. Be responsible, bring your stuff!!! Pack on Thursday night. Perfect attendance is expected. The price of admission is commitment.
*Label your stand/instrument. If it is one of our instruments, please do not remove the blue tape from the case. Also, masking tape on the stand is a good way to label them.
* Behave safely, responsibly, respectfully and appropriately at all times – no horseplay.
* Leave the room cleaner than you found it – put away your chair, music, etc.
* Take proper care of your instrument. Clean/dry it every time you use it. Report any damage immediately – you will not be in trouble if an accident happens to your instrument. Most normal problems are easily fixed (broken strings, stuck mouthpieces, etc.) NEVER GET AN INSTRUMENT WET (keep it covered.)
* Practice at home at least 2-3 times each week. Review the lesson from your last class, several times.
* Eat a snack, wash your hands and use the bathroom before you come to FMS. There should be no food, drinks (except water) or gum at FMS. Restroom facilities will not be provided.
* Students will sign in every Friday. Do not sign-in for someone other than yourself (“personal responsibility”). If you are absent for more than 3 sessions, you may be dropped from the program.
* Be picked up by your parents promptly after class ends. We do not provide childcare and are not responsible for students after class ends.
*I welcome all questions, but because we are on such a tight time schedule I cannot answer parental questions on Fridays -- unless it is a true emergency of course! For general questions and comments, please contact me by Thursday: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 408-226-6962 .Thank you for respecting this rule. Students, of course, are allowed to ask questions during class. We
* We should not see phones at FMS, unless you are calling your parent after class. NO GAMING/PICTURES/POSTING at FMS. We are not responsible for lost/stolen/broken/whatever items.
* Parents may wait on the front patio during class time – please do not enter the classrooms or observe though the windows or “hang-out” near where your students are practicing. It is distracting to both students and mentors. If your student cannot participate without you, they are not ready for our program.
* Students who arrive early can wait inside of the front fellowship hall, or in the center courtyard, where they can be seen through the front fellowship hall window. For safety reasons, Students are
NOT to be: * Behind the Fellowship Hall, * On either side of the Fellowship Hall, (near the strings room/street) * On the Front patio, near the steps or in front of the church NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO CLIMB THE TREES!! If you are unclear about the boundaries, please ask Candace Love.
* Please do not walk/run through the tanbark, or throw it – it’s messy. If, for some reason, you get tanbark on the pavement, please sweep it up. Also, please do not pick the flowers (unless you’re 2 years old and you just can’t help yourselfJ)
* Please do not bring pets to FMS. They are upsetting to some students.
* Check the website regularly for updates and concert information. www.freemusicschool.com
* Videos/pictures of students will probably be posted on YouTube, etc. If you do not want your student’s picture to be used in public, you must write me a note specifying that. Otherwise, you consent to having your student’s picture used.
* Do not ask our music-mentors, or anyone at Free Music School, to take on additional duties without first discussing it with Candace Love. Do not ask instructors to provide additional, free lessons, on a different date, etc. If you don't know if you should ask -- ask! Thank you.
* The teacher is always right. If any student is disrespectful, defiant, disruptive or otherwise behaving disrespectfully or unsafely at FMS, we reserve the right to excuse them from attending this program. If you have questions regarding these rules, please see Candace Love.